Monday, November 21, 2011

A disaster, followed by victorious pasta.

My parents were in town for our usual Sunday night dinner, so of course I had to make something special. I found this recipe for a seemingly easy crostini...carmelized onions, goat cheese, French baguette. Sign you up, right? Well, things were going swimmingly as I followed the recipe until I decided that a lovely touch would be to broil the finished bits.

Looking good to start, right?

The result of two too many minutes of broiling. Oops.

A little thyme? My dad still gobbled them up, serious burnt crust and all.

For the entree, I attempted to recreate one of my favorite dishes, rigatoni alla boscaiola, a pasta dish with Italian sausage, tomato, cream, and mushrooms.

This is pre-addition of the cheeses and cream. I eliminated the peas since both P.I.C. and my mom hate them.

Decadent and fabulous, right? I went with one of my favorite dishes and added some fresh sage.

Side salad to accompany? Add apples, blue cheese, and some walnuts and  it feels so fancy.

And what is a Sunday dinner without a lovely glass of wine to accompany?
My adjustments to the above recipe? Next time, I'd add more sausage, a spicier. When reheating the leftovers, we enjoyed throwing in some crushed red pepper for a little kick and I liked it better.

As for the appetizer? I'd be way more careful with the broiler.



No comments:

Post a Comment