Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crockpot Gumbo!

With the chill in the air becoming ever more prevalent, my need to stew things all day long has become insatiable. I made chili last week, and have often taken to slow cook a roast, so I was up for something new. Gumbo was my random selection to which the husband said, "Yes please!"

I followed this recipe:

Making the roux...I have this awesome whisk that is perfect for this purpose.

Practicing my photo skills with my ingredients.

Set it to low, cook for seven hours.

Served with rice, it was quite a hit in my house.
I used turkey sausage instead of regular which probably meant it didn't taste quite as good, but the use of chicken thighs was spot on. Delicious dark meat really rounded out the protein in this dish. I also added about two cups to the mix once I put it in the crockpot. I felt it needed some more liquid. I also cut the shrimp into smaller bites to spread them throughout the dish.

Two spicy thumbs up here!

1 comment: